How Do I Find a Professional Qualified to Diagnose ADHD?

Start by making an appointment to see your family physician. You will be able to ask him/her for a referral to an ADHD clinic or health care professional that can perform ADHD evaluations for adults.

  • ADHD evaluation and treatment clinics often have their own consultation request forms (to be filled in by your physician), which can usually be obtained directly from the clinic or downloaded from their website.
  • At some clinics, individuals seeking an assessment for ADHD are encouraged to contact the clinic directly, and the staff will expedite setting up the assessment process and contacting the treating physician.
  • Certain services may not be covered by insurance plans, so be sure to check costs ahead of time, which can vary from clinic to clinic.

Many paediatricians as well as child and adolescent psychiatrists have expanded their practice to include the parents of their patients. If you are seeing an adult psychiatrist to assess adult ADHD, it is a good idea to find out how knowledgeable they are about ADHD.Is this an area they specialize in and do they see many patients with ADHD in their practice? It’s OK to ask!

Other helpful sources of information include:

  • Calling a university-based hospital, a medical school, or a graduate school in psychology in your area.
  • An ADHD support group in your area. It may be very helpful to go there and talk with the people attending the group. Chances are that many of them have worked with one or more professionals in your community and can provide information about them.
  • Your pharmacist or nurse practitioner can also be a great resource.